Sunday, October 20, 2013

How to correct your dog s stay on the agility starting line


How to Correct Your Dog's Stay on the Agility Starting Line


Deterioration of the Start-line stay happens without us understanding the cause of it. Stay means stay, let the fun begin after the stay.


dog agility, agility equipment, dog agility equipment


Does your Agility Dog Stay everywhere but on the starting line? My "over the edge Border Collie", started breaking her start line stays after about one year of trialing. I had to go back and examine the cause and what lead to the deterioration of her start line stay.

As I pull pieces of the past, I realize that at first I asked my dog, Rip, to Sit-stay at the start line. But she began to lean and scoot, so I changed to a Down-stay. She did this for a while until she began to crawl and creep. Then I would walk away for a lead out, but I would continue to face her, by being face to face, that would help her to hold her position, well it did for a while. Then I started getting breakaways, she would no longer wait at the starting line, as soon as I started to step away from her side, and she would be off. That's when I pulled her from trialing.

Why did her behavior get worse at the start line? Because I started to negotiate with my dog, way back when she moved from the Sit-stay, I should ha

 



Recommended For You



No comments:

Post a Comment